Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Long Walks and Chocolate Cake


One of my favourite massages to give and receive is a relaxing one. I'm a true believer in the affects of stress in our life. Many people don't like to admit that stress is difficult to deal with or that the illness they have started with a stressful situation. Life happens to us all and some of it is wonderful and some of it isn't but, all of it does put a certain amount of stress on us. How do we deal with it? This is a very important question.

You think you're gearing up for a great party after a long week of hard work, to loosen up a bit. But you stay up late, the music is loud, you eat too much and drink too much. Then, the next day you sleep in to catch up on lost sleep. All this loosening up has put your body into a stressful mode that will probably take a few days or more to recover.

One of my favourite reads on stress is The Stress of Life by Dr. Hans Selye. He's a pioneer of medicine and stress. In his book he describes the affects of stress and gives some data on research and also talks about how to deal with stress.

So, to de-stress I took a long walk this morning and focused on my breathing and being aware of my surroundings. It was cold. I noticed the red in the sky and the mares' tails in the clouds. If you're a sailor you'll know that this means rain tomorrow. Let's see if the Weather Network and Breakfast Television gets it right!

And to top it off, I had a slice of chocolate cake! What do you do to de-stress or "chill-lax," as my nephew would say?

Wellness to you,


Jeanne

No comments:

Post a Comment