Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Knowing How It Happened

I got a call from my dad the other day asking for a neck and shoulder massage. I was surprised, he never asks for massage, so I asked him what happened. He said that he didn't think anything happened.
Upon further questioning, together we came up with the possibility that playing golf everyday may have something to do with it.

I find it quite often in practice that many clients have difficulty knowing the cause of their complaint. "Sometimes things just hurt when you reach my age," is one comment I received from a forty-eight year old male client. And there are times I have to sit and recount the current events in one's life that lead up to this painful situation. Do people forget what just happened? Are they trying to forget? Sometimes aches and pains do creep up on us but it's still important to know what you're doing and what went wrong and what causes the pain we feel.

Recalling what happened, when it happened and what you did immediately after is all important information that will help you and your therapist deal with your painful area better. Sometimes the information might be old, for example twenty years ago you fell on the ice and sprained your wrist. Today, you have an ache in your shoulder that appears to have come from nowhere. Maybe one incident has nothing to do with the other and maybe it does. I don't believe in "nowhere".

The more information your Massage Therapist has about your complaints the better they are able to help you.

Wellness to you,

Jeanne

No comments:

Post a Comment