Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pets Need Massage Too

My three year old cat, Mercer loves to get an early start on his day. And if he can beat the sun coming up that suits him  more so. Scratching the side of my bed, chewing on the Ivy and making a nuisance of himself in order to get me up is even better. This way he gets his early breakfast then off he goes to watch the squirrels and birds from his backyard window.

On a rare occasion Mercer will hop up into my bed and nestle up beside me.....demanding a massage. He never stays too long although in his time it may feel like a whole hour has past.

I start under his chin and work around to his cheeks. Then leading to the back of his neck I use the palms of my hands and massage down both sides of his spine. I repeat this a couple of times then go up to his shoulders using my thumbs, massage in small circular motions down each leg. Not all cats, but Mercer enjoys massage between the pad on his paw and his toe pads too. I repeat this in his hips and hind legs. Then by some natural instinct or mind reading, Mercer will turn over and expose his belly as if to say, here too please. I use a very gentle lifting technique here by cupping my hand over his entire chest then work my way down to his abdomen.

Usually by this time he's already fallen back to sleep if not, only half conscious. His mood becomes tender as he stretches a far reach and rubs his whiskers against me as if to say, thank you.

Our pets can be really rough on their body through their playing about. And as they age they can have arthritic aches and pains just like we do. At times they too get emotionally down about stuff going on in their life. A massage can really give them the lift they need and a wagging tail every pet owner loves to see.

Wellness to you,

Jeanne

No comments:

Post a Comment